Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Its all about first loving music!

I have always been creatively inclined from childhood. My mom told me that my foot would start tapping to any kind of music which was why I was enrolled into a dance school as early as when I was five. I loved my dance school and liked my dance master but always thought something was missing! I was taught the right posture,the perfect mudras,(hand gestures used in indian dancing i.e. Bharatanatyam) but did I love the teacher and my friends enough to want to go to the school without coaxing? I don't think so. After a long career in Accounts, then as a Sales and Marketing head my heart knew that I wanted something different. I also did my masters in applied psychology because I love people and children especially. How do I put these two together. Thats when I met Shashikiran a renowned musician from Carnatica, who had lofty dreams of setting up a Music School in every city in India. I offered him my help for Bangalore.

With a fantastic launch at Bangalore Gayana Samaj the school started. I got a lot of help from my mentor Shashikiran who was the first teacher to start the school. The school progressed well under him but I found the numbers were growing and we needed more teachers. I had also to think about the retrition factor. How do I retain my students and strengthen the name of the school, the answer was love and love for music and introducing fun when the came to class. Most teachers offer twice a week interaction with the children our school offered interactions which was three times a week. Two with their teacher and one with me. So Wednesdays are not only practice days its also a fun day where not only are the lessons that the teacher taught revised, children are allowed to express their views, laugh at their follies, talk about their musical achievements at school. Most of my young parents seek my advise on various aspects of their child's growth. The secret to good teaching is creating the love for the subject first everything else follows!!

1 comment:

uwiniwin said...

This is well written and the flow is superb for a first time blogger. keep it up Chitra!